View Single Post
Old 2007-09-30, 23:46   Link #227
Ninjacat

Location: In the frozen wastes of the Province of Quebec, Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
One of the things that annoyed me with Simon passing on the future to the...future with his whole Digger stint was firstly, I've always felt that one of the reasons Nia did what she did, believing in Simon even though she knew of Spiral Nemesis, was because she believed in Simon, she believed in his power that would overcome any odds, even a black hole of universes. She believed him wholeheartedly that he would save her, save the universe, he believed in his entirety.

But for Simon to go and do the "you do it, I'm just a digger." felt half-assed. Even ignoring the Anti-Spiral and his promise lol, it really felt like he was betraying a part of Nia's trust in him.

Not to mention that while living for the future is one theme of GL, there had been little actual development on passing on the future to the future generation as opposed to say Toward the Terra, especially on Gimmy's part. It really felt tacked on, since from the start, it had always been Simon's story.
... That's exactly why the story ended when Simon passed the torch. There's no reason to believe Simon hadn't made himself usefull in the following years, just not as some god-emperor.

That's the whole point! By refusing to take the anti-spiral mantle, he secured his victory. Nobody's playing god anymore, what Kamina set in motion is, at last, reality. Humanity is now free.

Besides, returning to being commander in chief would have been incredibly boring after basically killing God