Thread: Kannagi - Q & A
View Single Post
Old 2011-10-27, 12:00   Link #85
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
Now that's another divorce from reality. Surely the Japanese know how much work relationships are to maintain in order to keep the original affection going, don't they? How about "a common ground" to start the relationship, not just obsession with details about their personal life? I shudder to think what must be happening to Japan if what Sankaku Complex frequently reports about the results of surveys determining what Japanese women want (generally translated to "Money, Money, Money") is in fact true. This isn't the "Miracle 80s" in Japan, people! This is the "never-ending lost decade"!
Well, two things here:

1. You have to allow a little bit for romantic fantasy. I'm sure most people are well aware of how difficult it is to make a relationship work and just how much it costs. But some people still have a dream of having a "fairytale romance", whether that's with a celebrity, someone who's rich, or whatever... even if they know that isn't realistic. When people vote on these "surveys", they're talking about what they're dreaming of, not what they'd settle for.

2. Consider the source. That website's business model is to gain readership by constantly drawing at the well of the most sensationalist conversations on 2ch. Their goal is certainly not to provide balanced coverage of the challenges facing Japan's young adult population.

Anyway, breaking through the social barriers to get to know someone's true self is not easy. This is why a lot of romantic fantasy also focuses on things like childhood friends and half-siblings and so on -- it's an excuse to already be close to someone without having to go through all the work of breaking the ice. (Even in this very work: the two main heroines are a goddess met through a fated encounter and the protagonist's childhood friend. ) Again, it's not as if people don't know how much work it is in reality, but these unrealistic fantasies are supposed to be in contrast to reality (that's why they're fantasies). Nobody's dream is "I hope to go twenty years working hard to meet someone, getting rejected more times than I can count, until finally settling with someone I can merely tolerate because my biological clock is ticking and this is the best I'm probably ever going to get". All this is even setting aside the few "crazies" who take innocent/normal dreams/fantasies too far.

Anyway, that aside, I don't think there were any reports that Eri Takenashi was physically assaulted, but it was mostly emotional/psychological taunting and attacks, such as death threats and the like. To an artist who depends on their creativity to work, that can likely be as devastating. But in the end, whatever additional medical conditions she may have had have been kept private.