View Single Post
Old 2013-03-11, 20:25   Link #67
NK_500
Disabled By Request

@SeijiSensei: Space Brothers could have been good choice for Animax but I prefer You're Under Arrest instead as a candidate for a good seinen slice-of-life show.

Okay, let's get to the real business, I don't want to blame anyone this time except Animax itself and I do believe Animax is quite resourceful(since it was owned by Sony) but they just wouldn't listen. We have to accept whatever they shoved to our throats and pretend we loved it.

It's really sad to see there's no new anime in March, only "new" season of Fairy Tail, definitely the most popular show in Animax for time being along with Naruto and Bleach, which also popular shounen shows.

I have few suggestion for Animax for anime they can show, if they want to. Let us ignore the licensing problems.

What is it?: Medaka Box

Why it should be shown in Animax: If Animax have no problems of showing other Jump's shows like Naruto and Bleach and why not this one. Although Naruto and Bleach fans may had hard time use to this show but I really hope they liked it. Don't let Jump's name fool you, it's far-cry from other never-ending Jump's shows(though its manga still running) it only 12 episodes long per season. I would say MB is a dumber version of Bakemonogatari but with dialogues and more action-packed, which Animax may don't have problem with.

Why it shouldn't: Perhaps the biggest barrier that prevented it from Animax is its fanservice. Medaka strips alot, literally and proud to show off her body to the viewers, which most of the female ones will hate. Lack of "true" ending also give this show a bad impression on Animax.

What it is?: Hanasaku Iroha

Why it should be shown on Animax: If K is a shoujo with shounen skin(I know not everyone agree with this analogy but this is the closest I can think of) and this one is a seinen in shoujo skin. If Animax have no problem of showing shoujo shows and why not this one? I know it was already shown in Hero TV and let us forget that too. It didn't have much fanservice in comparison to most other shows for similar demographics and it is far from other popular seinen shows like K-On and Lucky Star for examples(which also already shown on Animax) because it's not moe but rather good marriage between seinen slice-of-life and shoujo romance. Content-wise I don't see why Animax can't show it.

Why it shouldn't: Besides it was already shown on Hero TV there is another big barrier for this show on Animax. First it takes several episodes to get use to, which may give bad first impression for most of the Animax's viewers who are mostly teenage boys and girls. It also suffers from what most other seinen romance shows had, lots of girls, lots of dialogues but no flashy action and fabulous bishies. It lack what defines "anime" to them in first place.

What is it?: Nichijou

Why it should be shown on Animax: If Animax have no problem with other KyoAni's moeblob shows like Lucky Star and K-On and why not this one? Take Lucky Star and remove the otaku references and you got yourself Nichijou and I think that is more accessible to all type of viewers than Lucky Star which already proven it's success on Animax.

Why it shouldn't: To show another KyoAni's moeblob show is to take some risk, especially towards their loyal female viewers who obviously aren't the marketing audiences of that show. It will leave a bad impression of Animax to them: full of moe craps. While Animax can trick them into thinking Nichijou is a shoujo show like they did with K-On and Lucky Star previously but I don't think it going to work again.

What is it?: Maria-sama ga Miteru 4th season

Why it should be shown on Animax: Though was brutally censored by the Singaporean government but it still passed for Animax. Content-wise this one had even less yuri elements than its first three seasons. I think it need this season in order to complete its saga which most MariMite fans on Animax have waited for so long.

Why it shouldn't: Singaporean censorship board can't wait to lay their fingers on this one even there's very little they can censor. Animax also tried they best to avoid that from happening even it will disappoint MariMite fans. It just don't worth the risk.

What is it?: Taishou Yakyuu Musume

Why it should be shown on Animax: While it may be a seinen show but don't let that fool you. It is nothing like Lucky Star and K-On which also marketed towards similar audiences. Don't let the "seinen" label fool you too as this also very friendly towards female viewers as well as male ones. I personally think it is the most female-friendly seinen show I ever saw besides Clannad. It depicts teenage girls for more realistic than those aforementioned shows which may only to satisfy lonely male otakus but not for the TYM girls. This also a one of the very few male-oriented shows where teenage girls are really teenage girls. Not some overgrown kindergarten kids doing cute things for sake of viewers' pleasure.

Why it shouldn't: The biggest weakness is lack of appeal to both male and female viewers. The male ones may find lack of flashy action scenes, just girls playing baseball. The female ones may find lack of romance and fabulous bishies, only girls playing baseball. Most loyal Animax viewers would ignore it faster than any annoying ecchi-harem shows because of lacking that appeal.
NK_500 is offline   Reply With Quote