Thread: Licensed Kokoro Connect [anime]
View Single Post
Old 2012-09-08, 15:23   Link #1846
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
At some level, I think that Kokoro Connect is a victim of its own hype. In other words, it's been made out to be more ambitious than what it actually is, which I think ironically makes it harder to recognize some of its charms and strengths.

Kokoro Connect is a nice, thought-provoking show with interesting character interactions and plot developments... as long as you remember that, truth be told, it plays things pretty safe.

What I mean by "plays things pretty safe", is that there's certain self-limitations that the show strictly abides by. You know how some characters have plot shields? Well, this entire group of friends have something similar in that the plot "shields" them from any serious, lasting internal divisions.

Going into this episode, I have to admit I was hoping for Inaba and Iori's relationship to become seriously strained with the realization that they both love the same guy. I was hoping for some real drama and continuing conflict there. But the anime chose the Shana/Kazumi approach instead, because it plays things safe with the whole "Friendship Always Triumphs" approach that you see in a lot of anime shows.

I get the emotional appeal of that old approach, and I have to admit that Episode 10 had some very nice, heartwarming moments because of it, but it does feel anti-climatic given the high expectations that tends to come with this show. Basically, Kokoro Connect doesn't go off the well-trodden "anime" path as much as I'd like... but it also maneuvers down that well-trodden path better than most.

While Inaba's crying spell after Heartseed's bit was a kinda overdone for me, I really liked her in the rest of the episode. This episode certainly showcased her more intensely emotional, passionate, lovestruck, and friendship-desiring side. On the whole, I think this was a good episode for her character, just a touch overdone in a scene or two. And I have to admit the kiss bit was really nice and smooth.

8/10 for this latest episode of Kokoro Connect. I'm looking forward to more.