Thread: Licensed Genshiken 2 (Nidaime)
View Single Post
Old 2012-10-07, 23:34   Link #223
zigantz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaoruAoiShiho View Post
They haven't broken up yet, but there is a reason why Koi is writing this large amount of conflicts into this relationship and not any others! To spell out the obvious, it's because he intends to produce drama between this couple and not the others.
Possibly, but it leading to a break up is another matter altogether, and a direction I don't see it taking, regardless of their minor relationship problems. Also, it's really not a large amount of conflicts. In comparison to other relationships, they certainly have more problems, but none of them have appeared as hugely significant.

Quote:
Where is your evidence? How is this relationship "great". All I see from early Genshiken is an incredible amount of whining from Saki and an equally incredible amount of not giving a shit from Kousaka.

That's what I'm saying, your interpretation is contrary to the story that's been given by Koi.
Really, this is just squabbling over opinionated reasoning. I've always enjoyed their relationship and found moments of sweetness between them, so it's "great". Many, many others have landed on this conclusion as well, and to dismiss that as a false interpretation of the story is ridiculous.

Since it's been the main relationship of the story until now, perhaps Kio simply desires to differentiate it from the others by portraying their relationship in a more realistic fashion, along with all the minor problems that come with it.

Quote:
Problem with this is that it doesn't really take much for Kousaka to throw the relationship a bone.

Maybe 1 or 2 panels is sufficient to show that Kousaka cares about Saki. Koi doesn't do this.

At this point you have to either admit that Koi is doing it purposefully, he's setting up the relationship as bad, incompatible. It's speculation to say that this is foreshadowing a breakup, but it should be indisputable that Koi wants us to see that they have a weak relationship.
I do partially agree with this. I wish there was more development given to Kousaka, and by extension, the Kousaka x Saki relationship, since his characterization has always been rather static. However, Kousaka has been shown to outwardly care for Saki before, and I definitely feel, although it's not shown, as it rarely is with other relationships, that he ultimately loves her. Unfortunately though, I don't really see their relationship being focused on all that much following the latest chapter; I just think it will continue to develop behind the scenes.

It's really not indisputable, since I don't see a weak relationship at all. I see a flawed one, with several bumps along the way, but I definitely don't interpret the very few moments that have dealt with their relationship as a sign that they're incompatible.

Quote:
If you compare Saki to Angela or any of the other girls, we see that Koi has been consistently hinting at something going on there. Saki's growing acceptance for Otaku is because of Mada, and in the Genshiken Mada is the one she becomes closest to. This is the meaning of what Koi has been writing this entire time.
This is definitely the point I disagree with most strongly. Madarame has helped her in her eventual acceptance of otaku slightly, but Kousaka has to a far greater extent, and in a much more significant manner. Not to mention Ohno, who's also influenced her growing acceptance a bit more thoroughly than Madarame has.

Quote:
If you look at Koi's writing, you'll see that he doesn't really do romantic buildup. Check out OhnoxTanaka, SakixKousaka, SasaxOugie. There has never been any overt romance from 2 parties before the concluding scenes. Koi doesn't write the typical shounenshit where 2 characters stare at each other's backs pining away for 10 chapters. Just doesn't happen. What he does do is, show the two characters interacting in a positive, friendly, and productive way. Then he cinches it in a confession (to the reader, not necessarily to the other party). This is what happened to Sasahara and Kousaka. Ohno and Tanaka happened entirely off-screen.

If you look at what's been happening, you'll see that that pattern is the same for SakixMada. The only other potentiality here is for HatoxMada, which would probably be unacceptable for Genshiken (though on some level I would welcome that lol).
Perhaps there's never really been what would be described as overt romance prior to the full establishment of a pairing, but there were always hints of attraction, and that doesn't apply to Madarame x Saki, save for Madarame's side of emotions. There have been no signs indicating that Saki has ever felt close to what would be required for proper foreshadowing.

Quote:
Lastly, you used a term that I don't think should be applied to Genshiken. "Fall for him." You're using an overly romanticized ideal of love in a series that has never been about that nor ever will be about that.

OhnoxTanaka and SasaxOugie are both about discovering compatibility and then thinking, hmm, maybe I should get a girlfriend?

Along the same lines, nobody would call Kousaka's "Do you want to kiss?" "fall for her." That would be risible.
My mistake, that was more of a loose description; I certainly wasn't intending it to be read as a wholly accurate term for what applies to the usual developments in Genshiken.

Yet, despite that, there had to be some form of a romantic connection beyond the basic, friendly compatibility for any of those relationships to occur. That's what I think is, and always will be, missing from Saki's side of the equation.

Quote:
Fact of the matter is, if Kousaka and Saki breaks up for whatever reason, she's going to need comfort and a new boyfriend.

Koi has consistently wrote friends who understand each other becoming lovers. That is his forte, that is what Genshiken has largely been about, and that is why SakixMada is likely if Saki breaks up with Kousaka.
Basically, this all hinges on Saki breaking up with Kousaka, and I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this point, because I don't see that happening at all.

And, even if it does somehow happen, Kio would then have to portray Saki liking madarame in a believable manner and I just don't see how that's possible at this point in time, slightly due, aside from all the reasoning I've already mentioned, to the absence of any chemistry between them, aside from that of being rather good friends, and, in this case, unlike a few of the other established relationships, I think that the "status quo" of just friends will remain.

Quote:
Because Madarame is a developed character unlike Kousaka. Putting it more harshly, he's not a sociopath and would actually treat Saki like someone he cares for.
I know Kousaka's comparatively under-developed, but that's being a bit too harsh. He clearly cares for her, and even loves her; he's just consistently blunt and oblivious to the fact that said bluntness hurts others from time to time.

Basically, what it all comes down to, is that I've never seen the potential for a Madarame x Saki "relationship" as anything more than blatant teasing. From Madarame's perspective, it could seem more significant as an eventual part to play in the story, but I really do think that this latest chapter has concluded that teasing for good, and Madarame's decision to finally move on will be a lasting one, and, essentially, I don't foresee a significant revisiting of this topic within the story.
zigantz22 is offline   Reply With Quote