View Single Post
Old 2013-09-22, 10:52   Link #18
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Yes! Pretty Cure 5 GoGo! - The Movie: Happy Birthday in the Land of Sweets!

Konnichiwa minna-san!

Holding true to my promise, I came to deliver my review for the GoGo film.

To be honest, since this film got released during the time that the GoGo series was running I did not expect anything from it.

After recently watched it, I have to say it is a vast improvement to the whole GoGo series at certain points. The movie itself unexpectedly delivers some good drama, but the irony of all is that the drama comes only when (mainly) Nozomi finds herself in a despairing circumstance or some other characters deliver a very emotive dialogue for saving or reconciliation. On the other hand, when everyone is seen onscreen eating sweets happily, the film remains on the downhill until things get either serious or gloomy.

Furthermore, the villain in this movie, in my opinion, is good. Mushiban practically avoided the clichéd tropes that villains from previous Pretty Cure films before this one pull out:
1. Mushiban never transforms into a giant monster.
2. Mushiban engages Cure Dream in a one against one final match; bothing using fleurets.

The final match sort of was satisfying, since it only involved Cure Dream against Mushiban in a sword duel, and his sword clearly had Star Wars influence design all over it.
As well, that Cure Dream in Starlight form doesn't destroy Mushiban, but she somehow manages to appeal to his heart moments before she successfully purifies him, granting the latter a peaceful rest.

Moreover, the most appealing drama moment in the whole film to me was when Cure Dream actually kissed brainwashed Coco (human form) on the lips.
Whoa, I mean she actually did it, and particularly since this is a movie aimed directly towards little children, but I'm glad she did so.

Overall, a satisfying release that attempts to be better than its TV series counterpart, and at times delivers some good stuff.

BTW, excluding the introduction and both OP & ED, the movie runs for a net time of 69 minutes.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote