View Single Post
Old 2006-06-13, 13:26   Link #48
Paper Lilies

Send a message via AIM to Paper Lilies
My name is Kathryne, a variant of Katherine.

Usage: English

Pronounced: KATH-u-rin, KATH-rin

From the Greek name Αικατερινη (Aikaterine). The etymology is debated: it could derive from the earlier Greek name ‘Εκατερινη (Hekaterine), which came from ‘εκατερος (Hekateros) "each of the two"; it could derive from the name of the goddess HECATE; it could be related to Greek αικια (aikia) "torture"; or it could be from a Coptic name meaning "my consecration of your name". The Romans associated it with Greek καθαρος (katharos) "pure" and changed their spelling from Katerina to Katharina to reflect this. The name belonged to a 4th-century saint and martyr from Alexandria who was tortured on the famous Catherine wheel. Another saint by this name was Catherine of Siena, a 14th-century mystic. This name was also borne by two empresses of Russia, including Catherine the Great, and by three of Henry VIII's wives

So my first name means 'Each of the Two,' 'torture,' 'my consecration of your name,' and 'pure.'

Whoa. That's alot to swallow.

------------------------

My middle name is Anne.

Usage: French, English, German, Scandinavian, Finnish, Basque

Pronounced: AN (English) [key]

French form of HANNAH. This is the name traditionally assigned to the mother of the Virgin Mary, though she is not mentioned in the Bible. The name was borne by a 17th-century English queen and also by the second wife of Henry VIII, Anne Boleyn (the mother of Queen Elizabeth I), who was eventually beheaded in the Tower of London.

All right. Virgin Mary-momma. Next!

------------------------

My last name is Harper.

Usage: English

Pronounced: HAHR-pur [key]

From an Old English surname which originally belonged to a person who played the harp or who made harps.

Cool. I can live with that.
Paper Lilies is offline   Reply With Quote