View Single Post
Old 2007-12-19, 07:01   Link #43
Ugari-Pizza
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem
Even with a measly ADSL connection I wanted to be a part of that community, to share releases and other random things as a file server. BitTorrent didn't exist, and IRC was where everything happened. It felt a lot more involved.
Ah I remember that all too well.

Things were a little closer back then that's for sure. Like you pointed out the nature of distribution back then meant the fans where in constant contact with each other. Anyone that had hung around the big channels long enough was bound to make at least a few close friends (as long as they didn't make an ass of themselves that is).

After I had been around a while I would rarely grab something from the big distro/group channels unless I was really into the show. By that point I had access to plenty of "semi-private" FTPs and hung around in smaller channels full of close friends who shared with each other. This was basically the only way to get rare stuff (or stuff few people watched) back then, there was also the issue of "large" encodes (movies mostly) which people were unwilling to share with "lowband" users because it held up everyone else in the queue.
Ugari-Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote