Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2012-02-18, 09:45   Link #19713
Tom Bombadil

@TinyRedLeaf,

Thank you for a very detailed info on the challenges that Singapore faces on the population issue.

As I study in the US, I can see the amount of talent that it attracts from the rest of the world: China, India, Thailand, Brazil, and many European nations. I am naturally envious of the US and hope that one day China will be as open to foreign talents. An open society is much more likely to be prosperous than a closed one. So it is not just a population issue. Of course, I am aware of all the negative sides of this equation. The government need to realize that it is more than a few stamps on paper works, that it has to make efforts to make sure the new blood is assimilated with the local ones. I heard some criticism of the German government for not doing a very good job in this aspect to their Turk immigrants.
But as Singapore is a multicultural society to begin with, it should be easier. On the other hand, IMO, reliance on cheap foreign labor is not such a good idea. If they are denied of residence, it feels more like exploiting tricks, and if they are given residence, the income difference is a sure way to get the society segregated (which is actually a big issue in China between the urban and rural population).

As for the population issue, sure, a large population will probably grant higher tax income for the government and higher GDP. But as individuals, why should anyone want a huge population? In large population nations, the competition for resources like education, health care, decent paying jobs are too intensive. In this aspect, I might be more biased, if the over all population decline, so what? As long as the individuals can enjoy a better living, I don't see a big problem. If the life pressure is the many reason for the low birth rates, introducing more immigrants probably won't help but to crank such pressure.