Before I take a shot at that question, what was your opinion of:
1) Tiny Toons
2) Animaniacs
3) Batman: the animated series
4) Pinky & the Brain
5) Freakazoid
6) Power Puff Girls
?

All are "children's animated series"... and I believe Mr. Terrorist's video link demonstrates what a bizarre crack-dusted piece of cartoon it can be at times.
I think a lot of people comparing MLP to old children cartoons are missing one major point,

Apart from a few of the older members on this site, most people currently in their 20s and early 30s WERE children when these cartoons started airing, so of course we liked them back then, for example,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
Power Puff Girls are cool. Liked it as a child.
Right there. Of course we have fond memories of them now - we watched them while we were kids. Let me give you some evidence to prove my point.

How many of you watch and enjoy MODERN kids cartoons to the same extent? An example, Ben10. How many people here above the age of 20 watch that?

My point is, people in their 20s and 30s are discovering MLP for the first time, as when they were kids it may have just been something their sisters were into, or not at all. The fact full grown men are discovering this child's cartoon (and I should also enphasise the difference that it is a cartoon for young girls, not even boys at all). It's a very unique case - though I am personally against it, I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but it most certainly isn't right to compare it to ANYTHING else we've seen. Not Pixar, not disney, no.

The only point I can somewhat agree with is that it is the moe culture arriving in the West in a very strange manner of creature. Or should I say pony?