View Single Post
Old 2012-08-04, 23:51   Link #145
Kmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
It's not about having "the option to operate another person's character", it's about "having the realism to touch someone else". The fact is, the menus work through a kind of motion control. Well, so does everything else. Because that's the only way the game can work. There is no controller, it's just a fake body being fed fake sensory information. There is literally no way for anyone to interact with anything in the world except by moving their game body around.

So either people can move other people's bodies, and therefore operate each other's controls, or they can't move each other's bodies at all. And I think everyone would agree that a VR game where you can't touch other people would be incredibly stupid and defeat the entire point of the immersion.

And really, the only problem is when people are asleep. But... in a real game (and SAO was designed to be a game), why in the world would you go to sleep in the game? Instead of just logging out and taking a nap? It just wouldn't be an issue that would ever come up in normal circumstances. Someone who's awake could easily prevent that because it's not like anyone's naturally bigger and stronger than you.
I'm just saying the game mechanic makes no sense and I haven't seen an argument that makes it acceptable. If you can operate another player's menu options it's a bad game. The problem isn't only sleep pk. Say you're in the middle of fighting, you go to your menu to grab a potion or switch equipment someone can intentionally interfere and make you select the wrong thing or you take a swing and someone re-directs it to an ally or trips you up. Same for trading. Huge griefing potentials.

I don't really get why other players are able to see another's menu either or the need to operate them with movements instead of just doing it within their mind. Might as well show a skillbar and which skill they're pressing to enemies if they're going to show players opening menus selecting things.

I don't want a drawn out discussion so I'm just going to conclude with:
If they can hide skillbars/skill activation, timers, map, anything else they can hide other parts of the user interface like menu options.
Things like menu options and controls are usually seen by individual player only and operated on their end.
Having such a bad game mechanic is only plausible because it seems like SAO is a light, survivalist genre maybe. I would strongly disagree with Kirito's assessment of how SAO is a fair game then.
If it was to be sold as a real game I don't think any dev would allow other player control of another player, then again there're a ton of bad devs and games atm.
Kmos is offline   Reply With Quote