View Single Post
Old 2012-06-02, 16:40   Link #49
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
P.A. Works (with producer Takayuki Nagatani backing them) was going to do a tenth anniversary project regardless. With a different writer at the helm, the final result may not have been "Hanasaku Iroha", but there was already a will to create something.
Iroha was Horikawa's baby. He was the one who wanted to do the project during CANAAN's production. Here's a quote from the 8th Hanairo Notebook from an interview with Animation Director Kanami Sekiguchi:
Quote:
-Sekiguchi-san, you served as both character designer and chief animation director (hereafter: animation director) for Hanasaku Iroha. Let’s start by telling us how you became involved in this project.

Around the time true tears was finishing, Horikawa-san (Producer/P.A. Works Representative) first talked to me about “participating in an original work about girls persevering.” At that time, the structure was just being put together. But I was about to start work on CANAAN and so that’s the only concrete story I can say. My first impression of Hanasaku Iroha is faint. (laughs)

-So things were already in motion before CANAAN finished, or should we say hadn’t finished yet?

Yes. By then it had already been decided that the story would take place in a hot springs inn. It was unusual for an inn, much less a hotel, to be the focal point of an anime. But it is P.A. Works after all. How should I say it... it’s plain and simple. (laughs) It wouldn’t be flashy, but the main story would be about girls’ everyday lives in an inn. And then there would be various points around that theme, which reduced any resistance we had. I also felt confident about a simple story versus a flashy action story.
Personally, given the material I've translated, I feel that Okada didn't have much to do with the overall structure as she did with the fine details of each episode (like the bondage scene in episode 3) Also, the animation director for episode 3, Yuriko Isshii, was known to be fond of these antics, so it might not be just Okada to blame for Jiromaru's personality.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote