Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2013-06-11, 18:33   Link #28809
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
Ouch!

And yet in every broadcast I watch about football derbies, they show Galatasaray and Fenerbahce fans drinking pints of beer like a boss. That government is just asking for trouble with such measures pushed by force against people who know how to live quite an European way of life.
They are not like the British fans, so they don't really drink that much. But, to some extent, those people (the hardcore fan bases of the three biggest soccer clubs) are the first to come and attend these recent events/gatherings.

The Government recently passed a legislation that goes beyond that (the president approved it yesterday, I believe). You cannot drink anymore in public places (like parks, events, etc), if you want to drink in restaurants, you need to drink it inside. You cannot buy alcoholic beverage after 10pm anymore. And many more restrictions...

The stupid part in all of these is that Turkish people don't really drink much, maybe less than 10 percent drink regularly (and I mean it not in an alcoholic kinda way, like on weekends, a few beers a week). And, maybe only 10 percent of the whole population supports the ban (they are the radical Islamist, so they will support any kind of ban that impose Islamic lifestyle on everyone, Muslim or not, like not sending girls to schools).