View Single Post
Old 2011-12-10, 23:27   Link #108
Kagayaki

The animation and direction obviously aren't as great as last week, which is a shame, but they're not dramatically worse than anything that happened before last week (which was unusually good).

I can't agree with anyone who thinks they overdid the dialogue cuts.
1) As Klashikari pointed out earlier, this was the best they could do within the airtime they had.
2) We'll get to see the cut material later.
3) I don't think that any of the cut material was vital to the viewer's understanding of any part of the plot, characters or themes, although if someone wants to disagree with me, they're free to do so and explain in the novel spoilers thread why they think one of the cut lines was crucial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
The three? Don't you mean the two? Because Gilgamesh clearly got the short end of the stick there and we never really got to hear his thoughts on the definition of kingship. Seeing as a clearly important line of his from last week's preview was conspicuously absent from this airing, I can only assume and vehemently hope that the insight into his character will be present in the from this point on much anticipated DVD/Blu-ray versions of this episode.
I'm skimming back over the chapter right now, and I can't find any major, character-insight granting lines by Gilgamesh that were omitted, other than the "I've decided I'll kill you." I don't think the "I'll kill you" line tells the viewer anything that won't be presented much more clearly and unambiguously later. It's a line that's easy to misinterpret.

He pokes fun at / leers at saber a bit more too, which might have been important to see, and perhaps he had one or two lines there that demonstrate more clearly how he views her. I'm not entirely convinced that those were vital, though, and my main point is that nothing major was omitted regarding his views on kingship.

Independent of what was or wasn't in the novel, I think Gilgamesh doesn't feel the need to explain his point of view on kingship. He ridicules Saber instead of trying to argue with her too. It's not like he feels the need to justify himself to either of the other two beyond telling them the holy grail is already his, as are all treasures.

Last edited by Kagayaki; 2011-12-10 at 23:42.
Kagayaki is offline   Reply With Quote