Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (movie & TV)
View Single Post
Old 2013-04-13, 10:25   Link #2015
FRS
Lurker on the threshold

Quote:
Originally Posted by August138 View Post
You only know it's "old school" if you are aware of the original series and its place in anime history. To everyone else, it's just some "new space show." As for it's appeal as a space opera outside of Japan — everyone I've introduced the show to (people who are unaware of the original or have vague knowledge of it) is head over heels for it, and most of them are under 40. I also showed the first two episodes to my nephew who is in High School and he's hooked. It's about exposure, not subject matter — if you show it to people, and it's good, they will follow —I mean, the whole of Science Fiction fandom in the US revolves around STAR WARS, STAR TREK, GALACTICA, FIREFLY, etc. — and all of them are Space Operas!

What's NOT to like!?

P.S. That reminds me, before STAR WARS came out in 1977, a lot of people were saying that the film would flop because it was just a revamping of the old Flash Gordon tropes. But, look what happened to that "old school space opera"!
Sadly there are lot of people that will not watch a show just because it's SF/Space OP.
FRS is offline   Reply With Quote