Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Chihayafuru
View Single Post
Old 2011-10-19, 05:40   Link #208
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
For all his faults, more and more I'm getting the feeling that Taichi will be the main LI. Out of all the characters he has the most depth, and I can see he has the most room for growth out of the three main cast. Add in his current girlfriend, and you can make so much more drama with Taichi as LI than Arata.

Still, I hate him with a passion. The sting of betrayal is still fresh, and next week's return to the present will serve to repoen them. >_>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
You know, I think this is a shortcoming of the story. I mean, It's a good thing his character is more realistic and better developed, but if the other characters are so idealized, then we got a problem of balance here. For instance, it's pretty obvious Chihaya's connection with Arata is way deeper than with Taichi. If there's a love triangle at some point, and I think it's pretty certain there will be, not only the outcome will be totally obvious, but nobody is going to root for Taichi anyway, and all thanks to his first impression being so negative. It's going to feel pointless IMO.

Then again, maybe the author has a really good reason for this, like and unexpected twist or something, but....
As far as Taichi versus Arata. I think that both Karuta and romance wise, the story will be more balanced out and contested than expected. Essentially, the way the story seems to have been set up, in the present, Chihaya will be the only person (out of the three) to still be in love with Karuta. Taichi we already know didn't develop a true passion for the game in his childhood. But Arata's absence from the national tournaments, and his family issues foreshadowed in episode 3, seem to indicate that he has fallen out with Karuta as well. Between his poor relationship with his father, and what could possibly be his grandfather's death, I can easily imagine a teenaged Arata who's had a sour taste of reality being light years away from that bright-eyed 12 yr old kid with a dream.

But, now going back to Taichi for a moment. All I mentioned in my previous post was that he was complicated, but to go further actually the most striking thing about the tearful farewell scene between Chihaya and Arata was, to me, not the emotions of those two, but rather the fact that Taichi was almost entirely kept out of it. What that scene did for me more than anything else was to set up that even as a child, Taichi became keenly aware that he didn't share a real bond with Chihaya. And what this brings up or comes back down to is the habit that his parents have apparently instilled in him, of not getting involved in things he can't be the best in. Not just in Karuta, but it really feels like Taichi came to feel there was a certain sort of futility in his interest in Chihaya as well.

And so, really, what I see being set up here is Chihaya being set up as the perfect catalyst. Neither Taichi nor Arata will be remotely like they were in the old times. Neither Arata nor Taichi will be especially eager to jump back into a relationship with Chihaya, nor will they hold the same passion and interest for Karuta that they had previously. As such, in pulling them back together for the sake of her dream and her fond memories, not only will Chihaya be pulling Arata and Taichi back into Karuta, she will be the one pulling them towards her as well. And what does ultimately means is that each of the three's passion towards Karuta and any potential romance between them will be inextricably linked in the story. Not only won't Taichi take a chance at really loving Chihaya again unless he learns to genuinely appreciate Karuta, but I also think Arata will probably have completely buried his love of the game until Chihaya manages to personally remind him of the dreams he once had. Both Taichi and Arata might be set along a path of passion and dreams once more only through the direct actions of Chihaya. And both of them might have the potential to grow massively. As such, I think the question of who we will know we should cheer for or think will be most deserving of Chihaya's love could very much be a muddied picture.

Well, that would be apart from the part of the story where Chihaya also chases after her dream herself. I dunno how the sports shounen part of the narrative, with Chihaya being the incredible rookie protagonist on a path straight to the nationals, is gonna play out (lol). I won't lie, I could probably have fun with that too.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote