View Single Post
Old 2012-12-11, 09:24   Link #31340
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
He accounts for the logic error this way: When Erika declares that she is sealing the two rooms, he calls it a magic scene since Dlanor and her subordinates are involved. He says that the process must have actually taken a little time, and before Erika seals the cousins' room, but after the location check, Kanon left through the window. He accounts for Kanon's death by claiming that Erika shot him.
That's somehow actually dumber than my solution.
Quote:
George's I find worse, since George doesn't even have a motive. What does mass murder have to do with him marrying Shannon?
But George says stuff! In magic scenes. That clearly don't necessarily always mean what they sound like they mean. And also he never does anything, like, ever. Except the one time he participated in a fake death. Possibly to troll Erika, who honestly has it coming.

And also he can kill children, but honestly it's not like children even count.
Quote:
And Nanjo's motive is probably the worst. Not only is it paper thin and already thoroughly refuted by another poster here, Nanjo'd probably be better off siding with the victims and just asking for the money later anyway.
Given Nanjo's flimsy motivations in the story in general I have to wonder why he never just gives away the game to protect himself. Especially when there's people with guns he can run to.

Quote:
I think the point is that basically all of Umineko is testimony. It's the "Reader's" testimony. This is, at least in principle, pretty clearly spelled out in EPs 3 and 4.

So yeah I don't really mind about what he did with the various of the Golden Witch stories. Then again, that he dangles a bunch of 1998 stuff in front of us that we also can't rely on is pretty frustrating.
I get that, but then you run into the problem of the so-called "reliable perspective." If the Reader filters everything, they filter the perceptions of all perspectives as well, without necessarily making it apparent who can be relied upon. It's this sort of scenario that could give us e.g. End, where Battler has no reason to be dishonest yet appears to be misleading an audience he isn't even aware exists.

Given that, can we trust what Battler sees and says in other episodes? Why or why not? Are any of the Kinzo scenes accurate summations of his personality, or are none of them (or all of them)? It's ironically easier to compare and contrast the scenes which are obviously filled with magical things going on than the ones that give off an appearance of mundanity.

So I understand the frustration. The lack of any sort of especially definitive answer regarding Prime or indeed any of the basic information that someone in a theoretical Prime universe would have access to makes it very difficult to check a solution, and in the back of one's mind is always the specter of "Can I even rely on that information at all? If it turns out to be false, where does that reset my reasoning to?"
Quote:
I think this is an excellent interpretation.

I would also like to add that Dlanor said that wanted us to get to the core of Beatrice's story as another woman.
Does Dlanor know something I don't?
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote