View Single Post
Old 2007-12-26, 03:47   Link #45
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Well now, i actually ended up liking this episode more than i thought i would, even if only because we finally got to learn something about their pasts. A shame it came so late, because Sana's revelations didn't have the time to play any actual importance. Still it is better than nothing.

Nanaka's past did surprise me a bit, as i was not expecting her "father" to be the arsonist ... i don't really understand why Nanaka's mother ended up marrying the guy if she had a relationship with the violin teacher though (unless it was a one night stand or something along the lines) ... perhaps i missed something due to lack of subs, but the situation does not make that much of a sense for me, at least for the moment.

Sana's past was rushed as expected, but now we indeed know that the watch covers up the wound on his wrist and he moved back to this town to get some peace of mind. Overall while the revelations are too little, too late i still enjoyed the first part of this episode for the material it covered and didn't mind the lack of focus on anything else.

I am less than impressed with the timeskip though ... while it offered somewhat of a closure (more like a glimpse of the cast's future), it all felt very uninspired and i can't say i was interested all that much. Sana proposed to Nanaka, but much like with his revelations abut him having cut his wrists - the direct aftermath is cut short, taking away the potentially most interesting part and reducing the even to basically "oh, by the way - Sana proposed and she accepted. Good for them, isn't it ?"

Shuu and Shuri, still together after all these years, huh. The twincest is strong in this one ... not like i mind, as their dynamic was arguably one of the best things this show had to offer, even though it didn't have much of a time to shine.

Nothing much to say about Aoi, Asami and Hinako (aside from the later looking rather nice though ) - their appearances had little above cameo value.

Overall i can't say the timeskip part did anything for me - it failed to invoke anything in me and lacked any real sense of fulfillment ... which is how i generally feel about this series - its had its moments, but overall a somewhat boring and unrewarding experience. I realize they were out of time and this was among the only options to introduce some decent "closure" to the characters involved, but that isn't anyone's fault but the writer's and the short timeskip seemed more like a quickly thrown together "oh, by the way - this happened" than anything meaningful.

I still liked the last episode somewhat, but i can't say too much positive about the show overall ... Hinako episodes was the best thing it had to offer, Shuu and Shuri dynamics being the second (and last) noteworthy mention. A through mediocrity that ultimately falls in to the "fire and forget" bin. I don't regret watching it, but it is not something that would stick to my mind as anything above yet another entry on my anime list.