View Single Post
Old 2012-08-11, 23:09   Link #76
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Grimlock killing his wife because she stopped being a Yamato Nadeshiko was lame.
Guys who kill their wives generally don't have good reasons. I've seen enough true crime shows over the years to find "she didn't act the way I wanted," to be a sadly believable motive for murder -- and it doesn't matter whether you're in Japan or the USA.

But to understand what the story is about, you have to look at it from Griselda's perspective -- she was stuck in a stultifying life with an oppressive husband who expected her to be a subservient housewife. Her only escape was into the RPGs her husband let her play, where she could become an assertive warrior without drawing his ire. But then one day the game becomes real and her husband expects her to give up the role and revert back to her "real" self while she wants to continue "playing" the role of Griselda the Warrior.

At this point in the series I don't think it's a spoiler to say that, "What does it mean that SAO is a role-playing game?" is a major theme of the series. We've seen examples with the way Kirito took on the mantle of Beater, and how Sachi could never fully assume the role of a fighter, and how Asuna's changed since episode 2, and now Griselda refusing to go back to being a Yamato Nadeshiko.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote