View Single Post
Old 2012-08-15, 18:51   Link #956
styr

If anyone is curious about Lisbeth's water mill powered blacksmith which will (hopefully) be featured in the next episode, I found an interesting video about how they operate and the work that goes into maintaining them. The video is a bit long and "Ben's Mill" is a combination of a lumber mill and a blacksmith, but I enjoyed it. A bit of real world science to help explain why Lisbeth wanted that water mill so much...

This isn't a comprehensive video by any means but it does give a bit of insight onto how they work and the complexity of the technology involved. I don't think it is fully explained in Warmth of Heart how water mills help blacksmiths (or other professions) in SAO, but surely it must increase efficiency or production somehow. Perhaps it increases production time and thus allows her to make more weapons? She does mention originally peddling her business from some kind of 'mat' merchants had to lay down with a portable furnace/bloomery, so a water mill must've been a huge upgrade. I wonder if "Ashley's" used a water mill or something along those lines.

Sorry for the 'off-topic' YT embed, but I think it was quite cool to see a bit about real world tech that was imported into a video game. I bet Lisbeth didn't have to do nearly as much maintenance/etc as that old guy did..

Last edited by styr; 2012-08-15 at 19:26.
styr is offline   Reply With Quote