View Single Post
Old 2009-08-04, 00:05   Link #130
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runty View Post
Why is everyone calling Welkin a spineless wimp? It's really pissing me off.

Anime-Welkin is doing what would be considered most professional as a soldier: he's trying to distance himself from others he cares for. It may seem cruel of him, but it's so he can do his job as the CO of Squad Seven. If he were to attach himself too much to others, he'd be prone to making critical mistakes in battle by worrying about them. And those kinds of mistakes could spell the squad's demise, something he can't allow to happen.

Granted, it does make him less likable, but realistically it would be considered wise of him.
I saw the same death and funeral scenes from the game and I don't see any problem on how Welkin reacted. What I don't like from this episode was that if he had to distance himself from others, it was way overdone and pathetic.

Speaking of the funeral, should he have said something not as cold as what he said in episode 18, say something about how she lived instead and the need to continue fighting for her from now on, this would be more inspiring and expected from your leader, NO CONTROVERSIES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbron View Post
Because he mopes around for episodes on end, and when he finally decides on an action he takes the coward's way out?

Seriously, it doesn't matter about his actions this episode, because he's lacked a spine since the very begining of the anime. He hasn't grown one, he never had one, all he's done is adapt to his invertibrate status.

Put it this way as well, what sort of CO are you going to trust more? One that demonstrates that they are human and can grieve for their own bloody sister, or one who acts like her death was nothing important because it's a war? I'd personally say that the latter would cause unit morale to tank horribly, because if he couldn't give a rats about his own sister, why would he care about keeping YOU alive?
Lack of initiative and especially of good initiative! This is another major flaw given by these fools in scriptwriting for more than 6 episdes already... not to forget he's been spineless for most of the series so far.

About the choices you gave, the second pick would be... yikes! This is clearly not the way to act as a CO when you need all your people behind you. As I said, should he have shown more humanity OR these foolish writers to keep his former self here, we'd be fine.

Personally, the thing I hate most about this series is how they lowered Welkin just to make room for Faldio's rise to the top 3. Well, I don't give a rat's about Faldio as he should have been given the role of the overjealous friend having no hope of stealing the spotlight and prone to a possible betrayal, period! Where is Faldio's discussion thread? I shall speak my mind over there about his character.