View Single Post
Old 2008-03-02, 23:05   Link #1
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
What are Your Thoughts On Mecha?

I notice lots of topics like "What is the best romance?" or "What do you think of Slice of Life" or "What is the weakest genre", but there's nothing on this genre. Since everybody is apparently an expert on this genre I felt I should make this topic. That way everyone can give their thoughts on it and I can tell them why they're wrong.

Okay, but seriously, all jokes aside, the purpose of this thread is the exact opposite of that last line. I really wanted to create a topic like this because I think this genre is overlooked and misunderstood in the grand scheme of things, and I'm curious to know what people really think about it. Quite often people only give one or two sentence thoughts when the dicussion shifts to this genre and I'd like to get a real discussion going on it. Be honest and don't hold back, what does the genre do for you? Don't be afraid to state your opinion as in this thread I plan for it to be welcome. All I ask is that people try to make the reasoning their own and not to just borrow from "common knowledge" or what someone else said unless it is merely to help explain their own thoughts or to touch on something they agree or disagree with. Let me get us started then shall I:

For me it is it's versatility that attracts me to it. You can do so many things with the genre, because it is more of a motif and there are no real rules you have to follow. If you want to do something like a romance you can, if you want to do an Isaac Asimov like story you also can. If you want to do a military or political commentary you can. Or if you just want to do a shonen tournament style fight you can. It remains to me one of the most inexhaustable and accessible venues for creativity and intriguing ideas that an author or studio can work with.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote