View Single Post
Old 2011-07-09, 19:33   Link #100
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I have a theory about these disappointing ratings.

Perhaps noitaminA viewership is now predominantly otaku whereas before it wasn't. As such, for noitaminA to bring down good ratings going forward, it needs to have at least one of its two anime shows holding a strong otaku appeal. Anohana apparently had that. Fractale and Wandering Son seemingly did not have that (having watched Wandering Son myself, I thought it was an excellent show, but I don't think it's one that most otakus would be drawn to).

Now, looking at Usagi Drop and No. 6...

My sense is that Usagi Drop would probably appeal most to the traditional noitaminA viewership, but perhaps most of them have been lost for good. Otakus I'm much less certain of. Rin helps, but I'm not sure she's enough alone.

No. 6 has significant yaoi subtext in the very first episode (I don't recall Star Driver having that in the very first episode; even if it did, there was more heterosexual romantic undertones than yaoi ones). Yaoi is huge in manga, but seems to be (from what I can tell) much less popular in anime. Perhaps many male otakus actively avoid it.

Given these ratings, I'm a bit worried about how Usagi Drop and No. 6 will do going forward, because these are likely core elements to the show.
Perhaps so, it's been a while since they aired a solid Josei show, so it may be a bit before they get their mojo back.

Also going forward, less going forward, going forward.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote