Thread: Crunchyroll Hunter X Hunter Anime (2011)
View Single Post
Old 2011-10-02, 02:46   Link #168
ZODDGUTS

Yeah this wasn't as good as the original. They threw away many scenes between Gon and Mito. Their relationship is shown nowhere as deep as it was in the original.

This guy in another forum is spot on about the first episode:

Quote:
[Hunter X Hunter Reboot 1]

I can't really recommend this to anyone. Not because it's bad, but because it's very...'eh'.

If you are already familiar with the original series, you may be happy to see the show move past a lot of the introduction stuff and into main arc as quickly as possible. But if you've already seen the original I don't see this as being much better, in terms or art, animation, detail choreography etc. It has that cheap, modern, low-detail look that isn't very appealing. So this isn't a FMA: Brotherhood situation where at least it looks great.

If you're one of those people who has not seen the show before I really wouldn't recommend watching this version, unless you can't sit still for three minutes without having something happening.

This reboot compressed the events of the first three episodes into a single piece (with some changes and alterations, obviously). I don't really like that, at all. The pacing of the events, the character interactions and development, important and weighty choices...they are all gone or severely reduced. For example, in the original, Gon's mother doesn't want him to go take the Hunter exam. There's some family tension that lasts two episodes - in this version it's a few lines. That's it. You can't make us care about all this in two lines, there's no time for anything to develop. That really kills the whole scene for me, and robs it of any impact.

I really think the original shows pacing, which focused on letting events unfold naturally. The actual direction is very...unremarkable as well. Scenes exist and connect, but nothing interesting is being produced.

I would recommend checking out Hunter X Hunter Orginal 1-3 and see if you prefer that version.

Last edited by ZODDGUTS; 2011-10-02 at 03:15.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote