View Single Post
Old 2008-10-21, 11:35   Link #1164
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigo View Post
Ok, to try and steer the discussion towards macross again, maybe we can talk abou the koenig monster. It seems to serve the role of mobile artillery. I kinda like the idea of a bomber that can transform into a ground based artillery platform. I mean hell, if your artillery is that mobile, you definitely have some advantages on the battlefield. But the thing that baffles me is, what the hell is the point of the legs? Lets ignore the fact that it even transforms in space, which I can't understand a single point to that, but even on a planet, I don't see the point. It can barely walk as it is, so it's definitely not for all terrain movement. Not to mention since it can fly, it really doesn't need all terrain movement.
...you do realise that it can't deploy its guns in Bomber mode, right? And that using the artillery railguns requires a stable and stationary platform, one you can only get with the legs?

The idea of the Koenig Monster is that it's a transformable version of the original Monster. Like all artillery units, the Destroid Monster carries heavy firepower, but it slow, and getting the firepower where you want it fast enough is a bitch. Hence, the Shuttle mode on the Koenig Monster, the idea being that it flies to the AO, deploys into GERWALK mode, blasts the crap out of everything, transforms back into Shuttle mode and flies home. As for why it has legs, the idea is to grant it limited mobility when in ground operations mode (actually, its mobility is slightly better than a standard towed artillery gun, though a self propelled gun probably has better mobility), as well as a lower center of gravity that brings better stability. Also note that when Kanaria fires her guns, the Koenig Monster leans back and a back stabiliser deploys, forming a tripod configuration in combo with the front legs - something very similar to a mortar tripod, incidentally.

As for why it needs to transform into GERWALK mode, I refer you to episode 25, where Kanaria does a 360 degree turn, blasting all targets she sees. You can't do those sorts of turns in Bomber mode.

Also, the other reason the Koenig Monster needs to transform because the missile launchers, arm guns, and railguns are not available in Bomber mode; Shuttle mode's only weapons are the nose autocannons. It has no other weapons in shuttle mode - you're confusing it with the VAB-2 and the VA-9 Invader (which was a bomber Valk based off the A-6 Intruder bomber in service with the US Navy).

You also forget that artillery always needs to reposition itself in small ways - the simplest being turning to a new heading to shoot at a new target. When you're sitting in one spot and need to turn 20 degrees to face a new target, it's very ridiculous to take off, fly around, and land again when you can just use the legs and turn.

I believe in miracles.

Last edited by Wild Goose; 2008-10-21 at 11:54.
Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote