View Single Post
Old 2013-10-01, 18:03   Link #233
rpapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade82 View Post
how much volume do you think the anime will cover rpapo?
My opinion? It's pure speculation, but I suspect they will do exactly like what they did with Toradora: they will cover most of the incidents given in the already published novels, add in some more stuff unique to the anime, and finish the story whatever way the author thinks she wants to finish it right now (or wanted to finish it several months ago). In the end, the novels will probably differ somewhat.

Unlike, say, The Lord of the Rings, which was a story 100% complete before it was ever published, most fictional series nowadays, be they English, Japanese or whatever language, develop as they are published. They usually start out with an outline, but the story can and does often change as the separate volumes are published. Harry Potter was that way. The evidence shows that Toradora was like that, and I suspect strongly that Golden Time has been that way too. The publisher wants the flexibility to cut the series short if it doesn't turn out popular, and by the same token they want the flexibility to milk it for every dollar/yen they can get from the readers if it turns out to be a hit.

Another factor to consider: though in Toradora censorship was not really a consideration (in fact, the anime is more risqué than the novels), in Golden Time it will very probably be a factor. At the very least, the depiction of underage (by Japanese standards) drunkedness will probably be softened. From where I see things, I don't see the author getting too sexually explicit in the novels. That doesn't seem to be her way. But they may tone down even what little there is, in the anime version.
rpapo is offline   Reply With Quote