View Single Post
Old 2010-10-31, 14:50   Link #246
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
The fact you're perceiving it as mere slapstick comedy is part of the issue,
I don't think that it's mere slapstick comedy, but there is a slapstick comedy element to it.

And yes, providing such a detailed look at Kirino's underwear certainly can distract from the point of the scene (not to mention making it a bit more unrealistic, imo). Take that away, and perhaps the comedic collapse would have been subtle enough, imo.

Quote:

I had a quite different reaction to the grope. It wasn't "haha, he groped his sister" like a slapstick scene normally would evoke. It was more like "OH S*** HE GROPED HIS SISTER", complete with nervous laughter and chills down the spine. I reacted differently because episode three made it clear to me that the impact of being... "compromised" is this anime are not to be triffled with. In essence, the nature of Ore no Imouto itself allowed it to take a cliched scene and give it an entirely different meaning and impact for me. In fact, I suspect that's why the author chose such a cliched scenario in in the first place.
How's that an "entirely different" meaning and impact from how collapses like this normally play out?

Comedic pratfalls like this frequently involve the male lead falling on top of an important tsundere character (as is the case here), and part of the humor is nervous laughter and chills down the spine at how she's going to react to that.

To elaborate a bit further on why I disliked this fanservice bit... Ore no Imouto has admirably aimed to be very realistic. In fact, I perceive that to be the whole point of the show: this is an anime about what it is like to be an otaku in the real world (as opposed to, say, the comedy world of Lucky Star). This makes suspension of disbelief very important for Ore no Imouto to achieve.

By injecting a comedic collapse that is not very realistic, the anime really risks breaking that suspension, and making itself look like a more slapstick-driven comedy like Love Hina!

Nothing necessarily wrong with fanservice like this in Love Hina!, but here in this anime I think it runs contrary to what the anime seems to be trying to achieve.