View Single Post
Old 2006-07-31, 20:46   Link #2
Obi-Wan
Hello there
*Fansubber

I have to disagree, I think Yuna's voice is perfect in the dub (I actually think the dub far succeeds the original version of GSD). I hated Lacus in Seed's dub but the woman who voices her is perfect for Meer, so I'll just have to put up with the Lacus for another season. All of the new character voices are dead-on, especailly Durandal, Djibril, Shinn and Rey. A lot of why I hate Shinn is because his Japanese voice actor sucked so much. The English one sounds much better. The dub script is very good and it removes nearly all of the ambiguity of the original translation. Great work by the script adaptor.

I'm diappointed in the extras too. Nearly every Gundam series has had tech specs in the extras section, but GSD doesn't. Very weak. I actually am glad they didn't include the OP with Japanese credits. Translated is always better then not translated in my opinion. Creditless OP/ED as an extra is the only necessity.

@ the Cagalli letter comment...

I don't think it's really necessary to sub the WHOLE letter as Cagalli narrates it. Pointless to have two subtitles of the exact same text onscreen at the same same. They did put a subtitle for "I will marry Yuna Roma" part, because in the animation that is highlighted as Kira is reading it, and I think there was a good reason for that subtitle. But the whole thing would've just been redudant and clogged the screen up.

The Orb Memorial had a subtitled sign because no one reads it, therefore the subtitle was necessary.