View Single Post
Old 2012-09-11, 19:43   Link #130
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquifina View Post
The previous year's refusal on the grounds the chocolate wasn't made from scratch was also just lame. Seriously?! Why not just say he's not ready for a relationship back then? A lot of what Satoshi has done reeks of self-centered cowardice.
I think you're being a bit too hard on him. He's just trying to come up with a way to avoid rejecting Mayaka outright. Also, there's no guarantee that him telling Mayaka the truth (i.e. telling her the same thing he told Oreki) would go over much better than an outright rejection. Some people on this thread have taken Satoshi's reasoning to just be a cover for him being wishy-washy - Who's to say that Mayaka wouldn't do the same?

That being said, I think when he called Mayaka at the end of this episode, he did tell her much the same thing that he told Oreki. I think he probably told her that he's not ready for a relationship yet. So at least Oreki's talk with him managed to get Satoshi to realize it's time to address the issue front-on, because it's clearly not going away (as perhaps Satoshi hoped it would after rejecting Mayaka's chocolate the year before).