Thread: Licensed Eureka Seven: Astral Ocean
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-29, 10:31   Link #783
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I'm a bit surprised by the mixed reactions episode 3 is getting. I thought episode 3 was just as excellent as the first two. The part revolving around the island's geopolitical situation and the ostracism of Eureka and Ao were particularly good. I enjoyed seeing the youngins rebel against their parents' stupid and unfair behavior as well. I'm liking "Gazelle" more and more.

The only scenes I didn't enjoy much were the ones involving Genereation Bleu. Only teens can pilot IFOs? Not this shit again...
Yeah I was kind of surprised and pretty disappointed to hear that they are apparently going this route now, which pretty much means no awesome support pilot characters like Holland, Ray and Charles. It's one thing to have the whole kid pilots the main unit thing, but for that to be the rule for all of them....pretty weak, a little too Evangelion, and too damn restricting just for the sake of what comes across as a wish fulfillment trope. I really just can't think of any good that can come out of working this trope into the Eureka Seven universe now and it seems like the sort of thing that's there only so they can have a reason to want to recruit Ao as much as they do and so that we have to have pilots like Elena Peoples (not doing the show any favors right now) in the show.

Also a little concerned about the whole racism/nationalism angle, because it can be played right or wrong very easily depending on the writer. Shows like G Gundam IMO handled it well by playing it purely for laughs and featuring very little in the way of mean-spiritedness so much as well known national stereotypes (also the bromance between some of the different nations fighters is a big part of the show) that the characters often rose above anyway, while other shows like pretty much anything Hiroyuki Yoshino has written can play it at a really crass angle where everyone but the Japanese are maniacal evil super villains.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote