View Single Post
Old 2006-09-29, 15:49   Link #470
Harukalover
In exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero1
Different animes, sources and/or whatever can differ vastly in "required filesize at a set quality". Some videos simply need to have large filesizes. There is also the problem of people's perception. What you view as good quality, or myself might be totally different. I encoded .hack/Roots (704x400) at 57MB some weeks ago, and it's what I would call only just releasable (no major problems as such, but the quality wasn't just up to release standard). Unless I was under specific constraints or requests, I would have gone in at the next reasonable filesize, which by the looks of things would have been 86MB. The legacy version I encoded of the same file required 115MB to look decent (even then, it's probably still lower quality than the H.264).
Very true. But I believe it should be pointed out that many encoders probably would be afraid to do encodes based on what they think it takes cause you may get "funky" filesizes. Viewers will only see that it is a strange filesize and think right away that means it's of bad quality. While the encoder will see that it looks perfect at that size.

By funky filesize, I mean stuff that doesn't fit the norm of release sizes by other groups. (Example of XviD being 175MB or 230MB and H.264 being from 120-140MB, 175MB or 230MB.) Anything out of those numbers would likely be considered a "funky" size to most viewers.

Quote:
Well at least you would get a somewhat consistant quality and only use as much filesize as you need, as opposed to something hitting CRF 18 at 140MB + audio and so padding to get it to 155MB + audio (or whatever), or just missing a filesize, eg CRF 18 at 180MB + audio and lowering the quality to hit 172MB including audio. Of course you may get people bitching why is one episode bigger than another, or why don't they fit nicely on a CD/DVD. It would be interesting to see how it goes down.
I think encoders really should encode to what they feel a episode needs. And not encode just to fit the episode at a projected filesize.

Most fansub groups tell fans not to expect anything from them since it is a free service. I believe we should set down a rule that they shouldn't expect each episode to be exact same filesize or even in close distance of same filesize. It really should be up to the encoder per episode.

(Just me ranting, don't take it to be too serious...)

Quote:
Indeed, but of these many encoders, how many are worth listenting to? There are only a handful that I will entertain, and I really think the majority of so called encoders are probably "press butan, receive XviD" types (I owe TheFluff for that one, it's stuck with me).
Actually I think there are more encoders who are a bit more proficient these days. They've gotten past "press button, receive XviD" and now use avs scripts with random long strings of filters thrown at the video.

Though I might still be one of them... but I do believe I have gotten better. And I know I still have a long way to go before I can compare to most fansub encoders.

Quote:
... should be automatically outruled due to how everyone has just played "follow the leader and don't ask questions".
I think there's a reason why many do this. Most new-encoders see certain encoders as being very talented and see them as the person to listen to. Now I do agree it's best to test and see instead of following a leader. But many are afraid of what might happen while doing this testing. I think we all saw what happened to a certain person who doesn't follow with everyone else. (Involves H.264 in avi). I believe it's best to let someone learn a bit then to constantly bombard them with insults as I saw by a few involved with that certain person. But now because of that situation I think many new encoders will be even more fearful to not follow the leader.

(Zero1: I was happy to see that you weren't one of those people and did try to help instead).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeknay
Unlimited Longpost Works / Bankai!11 / etc etc.
Indeed. I have to set up a time during my schedule to read a Zero1 post.

And I don't even want to know how much time it takes Zero1 to type one of those posts...