View Single Post
Old 2010-07-28, 14:29   Link #7019
madmac

Quote:
Yes, they all fell for him immediately, but Nagi's relationship is an evolving one, where as the others are rather stagnant.
Hinagiku - When he brought her to the balcony to look out over the city, many of her other scenes do more about her tsun- attitude than actually move the relationship anywhere.
Ayumu - When he caught her while her bike was about to go over a cliff
Izumi - When he rescued her (stuffed animal) from the 'viscous' dog (Lucky)
Chiharu - When he gave her a massage
Athena - When he took her offered hand

All based on single scenes, but Nagi's affection is continually tested and reaffirmed in different ways, in her view.

Isumi & Sakuya - When he acts like the big brother figure they hadn't had growing up. But it's even more of a familial relationship for them that they're on the fringes of the harem anyways
Even I have to say that last one was a little unfair to Athena, but she was a special case anyways and their relationship was based on a past that has now been resolved. If she wants an evolving relationship she'll have to start fresh.

I definitely think there's a bit of bias in saying that Ayumu and Hina have "real" romantic development that the other girls lack, given that most of the scenarios involve Hayate going on a date or presenting a gift as a form of "thank you" for something or other, no matter what they're thinking. It's all largely one-sided in the end. For obvious reasons, of course.

Edit:

Quote:
Er, what?

There is no romantic relationship between Hayate and Nagi whatsoever. Everything is 100% one-sided from Nagi, from chapter 1 where she misunderstood him. Nagi isn't even a blip on Hayate's romantic radar, because he doesn't consider her dating material at all.
A relationship doesn't have to be romantic to be an evolving one. Hayate has gone from "kidnap her for ransom" to "Do a good job so you don't get fired" to "I don't want to let her down" to "Why would she sell me to someone else?" to "It doesn't matter if you dislike me, I will always care for you." to "It's lonely being apart from Ojo-sama" and so on, all the way to "The girl I want to protect the most". That's not a trivial thing.

Hayate is oblivious to Nagi's affections, but he only grows more and more attached and devoted to her as time goes on. Nagi's feelings have grown and matured as well. As a pair, they easily have the most developed relationship in the series.

Hina, by comparison, is still stuck in "Must be nice to Hina, or she'll kill me" where she's been for over a hundred chapters now. For all her inner turmoil, he's still convinced she pretty much hates him.

Last edited by madmac; 2010-07-28 at 14:42.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote