View Single Post
Old 2012-11-08, 13:07   Link #2928
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
@kyp - Er, if I recall the Federal Assault Weapons Ban (AWB) expired in 2004 and was not renewed. I'm talking about assault rifles, not machine guns.. I believe GundamFan was talking about private ownership and seeking ammo for weapons such as the FN FAL which is a light automatic rifle .. I could be wrong but I'm not American so I'm not 100% sure
Without going too much into it, as we have another thread for this, the term "assault weapon" is usually misused in gun control legistlations - especially in the AWB. As a Marine, I laugh at the qualification they use. This includes "automatic" weapons as well, as most people think full-auto AKs or submachine guns, when in reality anything that's not a muzzle-loader, revolver, and bolt/pump-action is automated to some extent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Re: AGW -- Well, we're a fact and reason based society right? I propose we do a grand experiment! Purposely puncture a hole in the ozone layer or purposely spread greenhouse gases above the "Competitive Enterprise Institute" and see what happens! I mean .. there should be no ill effects of any kind right? Now.. how do you get enough giant fans to keep those clouds there..

Cannot currently predict the outcome
The global weather system is a bit too complicated for that to work, or carry much meaning

Is the globe warming? yes; does humans contribute to the warming? very likely, but as for how much.... hard to say either way; Is warming going to permanently destroy the planet like some of the AGW proponents have been saying? not remotely true, unless we're all living on a planet that has already been destroyed multiple times

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
I, in general, simply hate any attempts at fear mongering to subvert or suppress any issue where we're forced to take sides and no compromise. Politicizing issues like the climate, or global warming won't stop the effect that are increasingly evident. Whether or not we can effectively do something about it rather than get in the way of doing anything is what at stake. Yeah, I agree with you to a certain degree, but the affect can't be readily brushed aside as someone's agenda even if we don't all agree with what's causing it.
Agreed, I wish the politics can stay out of the science and just let the people who are qualified to figure out what's really going on without political influence, instead of the mess we have atm.

Never gonna happen though :/