View Single Post
Old 2009-01-22, 11:38   Link #895
Xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haku-Men View Post
Mat I remind you that all the series you've listed has been praised by a large majority of anime fandom and thus had far more credibility and longevity than Code Geass has (in fact it'll be forgotten in two years or when Sunrise's next big thing resurfaces) and the only people who bash there credibility obviously don't have the patience or dare I say competency to enjoy (far in between) and would rather see 23 minutes of bad writing and character development to care. I agree there is no such thing as a perfect anime and the only thing you can go by is what the majority thinks is good or your own preferences, one thing for sure Code Geass isn't one of them (which it could of been).
This isn't politics, you know...and even then things aren't so clear cut either. I don't believe in the tyranny of the masses. The majority is not free of sin and can actually be wrong.

All those shows are great. I have seen and enjoyed them. That hasn't prevented me from watching Code Geass or, for instance, Black Lagoon which is just a dumb Hollywood blockbuster in anime form and isn't exactly high art. Are all the shows you watch masterpieces or objectively great? I doubt it.

I also wouldn't say, for example, that Code Geass has better character development than Turn A Gundam, another great show which, curiously enough, has been extremely overlooked and is even considered to be the "black sheep" of Gundam by some sectors. In fact, its Japanese ratings were actually very low and it wouldn't be an exaggeration to call it a commercial failure. Your argument about great shows always being remembered is actually extremely questionable in the face of reality. Ironically enough, even Dragon Ball Z enjoys a considerable longevity if that's what you want to value. It doesn't look like SEED and SEED Destiny have been forgotten either and it's been over two years, so your formula isn't very...accurate. Not to mention that Legend of Galactic Heroes, for instance, is still a niche title and not something that has been "praised by a large majority."

But many of the great series I've mentioned have also been hyped up in unreasonable ways and have actual flaws or are simply subject to common business practices some people just ignore or throw under the carpet. Like the previously mentioned fluff Charred Knight was agonizing about. Say, I could dig up some sappy Evangelion poetry released with some art book or something to that effect. That's all I am really saying, if you can see my point. Unless you consider that to be "bashing."

I do prefer my own opinions. If I cared about what the real or simply perceived majority thinks, I'd just point to all the people who are giving Code Geass ridiculously high scores in every single site where popular voting is allowed and leave it at that. Or does this "large majority" not count? Granted, there are ways to trick the system but that applies to all other popular shows too. Even great shows have fanboys.

For me that isn't really the issue though. Again, I still think Code Geass isn't as unredeemable and mindless as many argue it is, even if it was indeed flawed, but that doesn't mean I am giving the series an A+, it's more like a B- or C+. Hopefully that is clear. This certainly doesn't prevent me from watching and appreciating better stuff.

Last edited by Xander; 2009-01-22 at 12:08.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote