View Single Post
Old 2007-06-06, 08:42   Link #27
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
No they are mostly a clone army.
That's why they all sound the same. //end-off-topiclessSo ~ this was never portrayed as japanese military. Not like I know anything about it, but I do imagine Nano-Military is more in between the middle ground of mass-recruits & special forces.

Judging from those mages in episode one, the training seems to be ~ umm.. the make-you-rough, but can't afford you to quit. If it was more japanese-military (or any other normal one) I would expect them to salute and code-speak at every *bip* out of Hayate's mouth ~ And yet they are so casual.

It's more like the Nano-Military is trained more as an police force then anything.
The general discipline and combat tactics support this ~

- - - -
Signum, Vita & Co should be the only ones with the l33tish training.
I have had a LTC as an immediate superior before (I was serving as a Clerk at that time), and the office environment was rather casual. Fresh out of basic training at that time, I was basically like a fish out of the water (since prior to my first actual assignment, the highest rank I ever got to personally interact with was a Lieutenant).

Saluting him with "God-stricken" fear while reporting to him in the office on the first day, he basically went, "Ah, forget all that crap." and more or less told me to be more relaxed.

Not all army camps here are like that, of course. I was rather fortunate in that it was not a combat/training camp, but an administrative camp, and a HQ at that, so the concentration of LTCs was "unusually" high.

The rationale of my "Boss" was that it was just a waste of time for men to salute their superiors in the office everyday, and a waste of his time to salute back as well. I still address him as "Sir" of course, since there is still a need to establish and reinforce military discipline.

When I transferred to other vocations, it was more or less the same. The relationship between the men and their immediate superiors is always more "relaxed" than between men and "external" superiors. Makes sense really.

Add to the fact that Hayate is 19 years old, and her "laid-back" behaviour is not really that far-fetched. Realistic even. What will really determine Hayate's competence though, are her reactions to "bad events".

The only thing that bugs me about Hayate is her rank. In the real world, most people would be lucky to be a Captain at 19, let alone a LTC. Ah well, this is the TSAB, and Hayate did say that her Ancient Belken skills were factors in her insanely fast promotions.

Hayate was a Captain at age 15... so she basically went on to Major, then LTC in four years. Man, I hope she saved a lot of orphans during those years. At this rate, she will achieve General at a younger age than Chrono achieved Admiral.

Cheers.