View Single Post
Old 2008-10-16, 18:18   Link #394
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Okay, this is going to get us nowhere, I'm just going to point out,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
The reason is that it might assure his opponents cooperation. And after all, Stiyl talks a lot. And he did say that he doesn't want the grimoires fall into other magicans hands. He just didn't even try to be clear let alone convincing. For the sake of getting to the following shounen batttle of course. In any other aspect, his behavior doesn't make much sense. zzeroparticle's proposal of what he should have said makes much more sense. And if it's a blatant lie, the better.
He doesn't want cooperation, he wants intimidation. Stiyl thought that Touma is just a helpless teenager, so he wanted to scare him away. But he hadn't expect Touma to fight back that well.

And secondly,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
I'm already feeling stupid for pointing all that out because it's not that I'm expecting a brilliant script here - it's certainly not the genre for that. My initial reaction was forget it, it's a cartoony villain doing his cartoony villain thing, let's go on to the F/X. I was just surprised to see you declaring a bug a feature. You say "But a character isn't supposed to do that in episode two!" as if it shouldn't the author's concern in the first place not to bring characters into situations where they have reveal something vital too early.

The author already revealed all the vital info needed at this point of the story, asking for anymore is the definition of spoonfeeding.

Look back at exactly what he wanted

Quote:
Clear motivation. Dialogue that's less pointless than the one that we got instead. And a revelation about more sinister elements lurking out in the whole wide world.
Honestly, you have to be really spoiled to not see any of those in the episode.