View Single Post
Old 2008-06-26, 21:39   Link #90
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis View Post
I know Minmei was absolutely ghastly in the TV series during her idol stage, but I found Minmei in DYRL to be breathtaking. I was glad Hikaru ended up with Misa in the TV series, but I couldn't be that resolute when it came to DYRL!Minmei, because Kawamori really did mold her into this lovely thing who got the short end of the stick.
Given that DYRL was basically in-universe propaganda, I tend to stick with the original TV series as the 'canon' version of how things went (especially once you got Macronizing Max Jenius in the movie).... and as a result, I find the whole 'Minmay turning into a real incestuous bitch' thing rather... well, I suppose it was realistic and inevitable, given her emotional immaturity at the start of the series and how she suddenly rocketed to fame without any grounding influences, but still unpleasant to watch the naive but selfish girl turn into the jaded, selfish diva towards the end.

DYRL Minmay's more like Sheryl - an estabished star when we see her meet the pilot, who's outwardly confident but at the same time possesses some vulnerabilities which she tends to hide. Again, like Sheryl. Ranka's more like the TV version of Minmay, but with better friends and an 'elder brother' to keep her level, on top of Alto who provides both a grounding rod as well as someone who both will listen to her and encourage her without sucking up. And he doesn't hesitate to treat either of the women like they were nothing.

Okay, maybe that's not such a good thing...