View Single Post
Old 2007-12-08, 01:51   Link #302
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
I'm purely talking about AEU's public pronouncements; not about what they might be planning to do.
Doesn't matter. Announcements made it crystal clear that they are only in it to protect their own assets. As any responsible nation SHOULD do instead of meddling in foreign affairs it really has no business in. CB attacking other nations? That's not AEU's jurisdiction or responsibility. Behind doors or on public announcements, I think that they made that really clear.

Being 'cowardly' has nothing to do with any of it. Lunging head first into the issue might be a 'cowardly' thing to do as well. Just go out there to snatch yourself military technology? There clearly is no connecting the three world powers at the moment. It's not easy to call which ever faction as 'cowardly' for sure as of now as the situation is still beginning to unfold, six months after CB has started acting.

Quote:
You don't seem to get it. Celestial Being isn't a country, so there'll be no such thing as a formal military response to begin with. However, if they wanted the public to know that they weren't going to let an attack on them go unanswered, there's tons of ways of conveying that besides "we'll only do something if they penetrate our territory again".
It seems to me that you don't get what I'm going at. We do all sorts of formal actions on smaller sects and terrorist cells and less organized and even individual crimes depending on foreign relations all the time. CB is essentially a terrorist group to a national identity since they're using force and fear through deterrent action and if AEU decided to intervene, then it's formalized. It's public and it is a war of sorts. If anything, it IS a formal action. There is no way around it.

Quote:
And how is this supposed to be a zero-sum game?
Gauging enemy strength to come up with proper response to equalize it. Are you even watching the show, here, or do I need to spell everything out?

Quote:
My point is that your argument was a hasty generalization - just because a ship escaped being detected by technique X for a period of time, that doesn't mean that it will escape such detection indefinitely.
And yet it did for months until someone was able to put an alternative technique to do so. Again, you're just flying around the empirical argument here. I'm not saying I'm 100% right on this, but you're not really putting on a good case that the WORLD powers couldn't have done something as easy as visual observation. Just to say that it's simple negligence or something to that effect just isn't convincing to me.

Quote:
Incorrect. My argument was that it would have been more prudent had Ptolemaios taken precautions against the possibility of getting found.
Okay. Since when did I ever argue that? I was talking about the visual contact thing and since Ptolemaios was able to get around it and utilize that same tactic, they apparently felt it was a safe course of action. For how long was it? SIX months? I'm not arguing that it was the most safe course of action. And how can you definitely argue that it would be safe to stay further out? Perhaps the ship hiding in lower orbit with more space objects and debris was its cover. I know where you're coming from, but it's not a definite answer.

The thing that gets me is that Celstial Being has done things so deliberately, your saying that it's all simple, run of the mill, Joe Schmoe negligence just rings hollow to me.

Quote:
How do you manage to conclude that, simply because the HRL used one technique to detect Ptolemaios, any other technique automatically wouldn't work? That looks more like fallacious logic than empirical logic.
You're not understanding what 'six month of not being detected in low orbit in plain sight of all the major world powers' means here.

If you're going to act all stubborn, that's fine. But I'm just feeling a ton of dogma and not much in how it's being supported according to the show.

Last edited by SuperKnuckles; 2007-12-08 at 07:06.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote