View Single Post
Old 2012-03-30, 15:20   Link #28278
Wanderer
Goat

I think it's relevant to the fantasy/meta motive discussion, so here's the end of Our Confessions (translated/summerized by LyricalAura):

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalAura View Post
Spoiler for 4th Twilight:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Need I want something, or can I not just be disappointed?
Disappointment implies expectations not met, does it not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldendust View Post
So the motive based on fantasy?

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong but wasn't that a counter of Eva-Beatrice in EP3? That Eva-Beatrice plunged Kirie's motive into fantasy by saying that she as a witch controlled her since Kirie's motive for leaving was not to gather food.

That Battler needed to find a proof and make the correct deduction about Kirie's motive otherwise Eva-Beatrice as part of the witch side could still win due to upholding a part of the witch's illusion. The detective needs to also work out motive with clues, hints and analysis of character. In fact Will the detective has emphasized that point more than anyone.

Basically what you are saying that Nanjo's motive is pure fantasy. No different than if he were to be controlled by a witch.

I don't know, it just feels odd to base the motive on fantasy.
Yes, this is definitely an interesting exchange when considering fantasy motive.

There are a couple things I would like to mention about it, though. First: It was Eva-Beatrice, not Beatrice, who made motive a game issue. Beatrice had ample opportunities to post similar challenges to Battler, but never did. Second: I'm not saying that all motive is based on fantasy, just Yasu's motive for murder (and perhaps that of her accomplices in helping her). Kyrie's case in EP3 would likely be different.

To basically restate what jjblue1 has just recently suggested, you could say that Beatrice is ignoring the murder motive on purpose, specifically so that Battler could realize that there actually isn't one. In other words, the fact that Battler is directed to think about motive, and that Will places so much attention to motive is precisely because the reader is supposed to realize that the fictions lack a satisfying motive and that there is no "better" answer than "Nanjo was controlled by a witch". After all, Yasu/Hachijou unilaterally wrote Nanjo that way without the real Nanjo having any kind of say in the matter. And let's also not forget he's called a "piece": Pieces in games don't control themselves; they are controlled by the people playing the game.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote