View Single Post
Old 2012-02-10, 06:15   Link #1210
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikijin View Post
I admit your prejudice is not totally unjustified, but it would be too bothersome to run down a full list of case examples.
*sigh* I really wish people would start reading posts that they're criticizing and not wasting the original poster's time. I've only stated about a dozen times how I'd love to see female pilots getting more spotlight, so I don't see how I'm prejudiced....
Considering you're the one who said "The fact is that men are stronger than women," and I'm saying females should get as much spotlight as males, you seem to be getting things flipped backwards....

Quote:
That's her problem, and I think you still don't see it. Soma was attached to a useless character. We are talking about Allelujah "Human Battery" Haptism. If Soma was attached to Setsuna or Tieria she would have been better off. I think you should make a list of useless male pilots. That should reveal you your bias.
Wut? So because she's in love with a supporting character, it means she has to have her mech crippled early in a fight so she has to sit out the rest of the final battle?

Quote:
And here's another problem you have never considered, the problem called "love". See, on the screen there is actually nothing more irritant than love. He loves her, she loves him, and you, the spectator, become the third wheel. That's why in a good anime the main characters fall in love only at the end of the series, they finally kiss and all is done. It cuts the boring part. Otherwise you risk having two characters whose only trait becomes the fact they have a fiance. It happened even to Simon and Nia, for example. And then Simon became human battery while Nia was away. That should tell you something.
And now you're saying because two characters love each other before the series' end, then they have to suffer spotlight reduction? First off, I don't see the connection, second, Allelujah was officially in love with Marie early in Gundam 00 S2, and he got spotlight in the final episode and mowed down an Innovedo in an awesome display of skill.

Quote:
Yeah, but I added that at least in the anime of Kawamori they may get a compensation for that, being important to the plot in other ways, which may not be true for other anime
It's certainly not true for many other animes.
Getting knocked back to a supporting role when you used to be a pilot is still getting shafted.

Quote:
Gunbuster? Ugh. The real competent pilots were Amano and Jung Freud, but instead they chose as lead Noriko Takaya, who just got MC status and so even if she was the more incompetent she got the most powerful mecha. Jung Freud got screwed even more than Soma Peries. In fact, after Daicon in Gainax anime you are screwed if you are a red haired girl, I don't know why. Anyway, Gunbuster is just as bad as it gets, it's just less noticeable because it had few characters.
Noriko's performance in the Gunbuster kinda disagrees with her being less competent than Amano and Jung. They were all competent. It's just a little thing called character development; there's a reason for why characters develop across a series instead of being stale.
And Jung didn't get her mech crippled early in the final fight and get turned into a mere spectator in the final battle.

Quote:
Do it and things will suck. Seriously, this society is not even ready yet for female alpha earners. If the boy can't provide help in a pinch, how is the girl going to fall in love with him? Alcohol? Magic?
Huh? You lost me. How does a girl not being a damsel in distress equate to the male lead being useless or powerless?

Quote:
Yeah, she should have become a human battery
Better than being somebody just watching on the sidelines. Or Kawamori could have thought of a different way to keep her character in focus without making her a spectator.

Quote:
But if the girl is the main character how can she become the damsel in distress? You are confused if you think the gender is more important than being the main character or main antagonist. You seem to know nothing about writing.
Why are you so obsessed with a damsel in distress? Why does a girl in a mecha show have to be a damsel in distress? What are you talking about? I am confused. By why everything has to be about a damsel in distress with you.

Quote:
How can she do it if she doesn't even love him yet?
There's something called the next 16-18 episodes.