View Single Post
Old 2011-05-13, 16:55   Link #73
CWW
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
What if she ate food in front of everybody, as Poppo already asked her to twice now? It'd be very hard to find a reasonable explanation to food disappearing out of thin air. Making her presence known is ridiculously easy for her. She could even communicate with everybody using notepad. I think that's another reason the final scene of this episode left me cold.
If it were that easy, wouldn't you think this phenomenon would have been discovered elsewhere ages ago? Or do you honestly believe Menma is the first of its kind? Like I said before, trying to use science to prove her existence is folly. For all we know, all the physical items she's been interacting with are only visible through the eyes of Jinta and us viewers. The door? Could have been the wind. Sense of weight? Maybe that's the extent of her ability to interact with the living world. It's not like she's dropping her actual physical weight on the person's shoulders. She. Is. Not. Real. Common sense doesn't apply.

What's more relevant, and frankly a brilliant move on their part, is that because we see Menma interact with various persons and items, she becomes more than a mere supernatural phenomenon. She becomes a real human character to us viewers, instead of a floating, gaseous, transparent, Casper-like substance that shouldn't have to abide by the laws of the physical world. It requires a level of suspension of disbelief, but to be honest, in a character-driven show, this style of execution works better than if she were able to move through walls, give off a glow and whatnot.

It's a matter of preference.