View Single Post
Old 2013-01-05, 16:40   Link #96
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Is it? "Freedom" has brought more to the table then thousands of years of control ever did.
Freedom without even a semblance of civilization will accomplish nothing. All of the greatest human achievements required groups of people to help make it happen. Even the great playwrights, artists, scientists, inventors, architects, etc... were only able to accomplish anything of lasting value because they had a social/cultural context that could both help inspire their creations and also give them a society that would be benefited by those creations.

What you're suggesting is little more than complete anarchy, a world that would make even Mad Max seem like a paragon of ordered society by comparison. A world like that could never create anything of lasting value, imo. Why, even basic historical records would eventually be entirely lost for most people as there would be nothing to perpetuate them in an organized fashion. At least the world of Shin Sekai Yori can speak of nuclear weapons with people not being totally flabbergasted by it.

Quote:
The argument you're posing is that because they have their system they can maintain their society, but can it be considered a society while they have their system? and can it ever grow beyond their system? From my point of view it's nothing more then a very sophisticated jail, even for the "good" inhabitants.
It's arguably a jail for kids. But is it a jail for adults? We haven't really seen what adult life is like in this society.

Quote:
I don't call that kind of system a society; it's at best a hospital. There has to be better ways of dealing with it.
I have yet to see someone suggest a better way.