Thread: Crunchyroll Dog Days
View Single Post
Old 2011-04-04, 07:55   Link #265
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
This was an entertaining first episode.

What I liked:

1. The characters. The characters are all likable to me, so far at least. Even the antagonists are amusing and charming in a way.

2. The fact that Shinku eagerly throws himself into competition. That's a refreshing change.

3. The relationship between Shinku and Becky. Nice to see a male/female friendship in anime that actually feels a bit like a bromance. That's different. Nice for a change.

4. The dog-human (protagonist) vs. cat-human (antagonist) motif. I find that very amusing. It reminds me of a funny live-action movie I saw once, but can't place the name of it.

5. Millhiore and Eclair remind me a lot of Madoka and Sayaka, respectively, from Madoka Magica. So I can kind of imagine that this is a happy spin-off of Madoka Magica.

6. The art style. It really suits this anime well, and makes it seem bold and colorful.

What I'm undecided about:

1. War games instead of actual war. It's Ok for now, but it could drain any real sense of conflict out of this anime over time. But I'll give it a chance at least.

What I didn't like:

1. Not getting to see Shinku in actual combat in the first episode. But I suppose that does help build anticipation for the next episode.

All in all, this is a cute and pleasantly entertaining anime so far. I look forward to more.

I'll give the first episode a very solid 8/10.