View Single Post
Old 2012-06-01, 16:45   Link #16
Grv
宜しく
*Fansubber

Interesting programme.

It was interesting to hear the background of how simulcasting has evolved and in honesty the surprise at the state of the industry (HDCAM tapes!).

Based on your description of the new project it sounds closer to a Humble Bundle / Indie Bundle sort of model as Kickstarter would be funding prior to the work taking place. Although you do then go on to talk about almost a sample being available and the kickstarter-esque model kicking in to continue. Be interesting to see how that works out and avoid the standard pitfall of a 'pay wall'.

It's definitely a good move and could help get some shows out there that are traditionally too expensive to licence for various reason - I'm thinking Macross 7 etc.

The LLP model seems to be a good idea although be interesting to see how the revenue splits are being put into the contracts. I suspect very similar to consulting LLPs with partners heading up specific divisions with their own properties and using the single name as a show of force more than anything.

Interesting you are talking about DVDs and Blu-rays rather than considering digital distribution routes such as iTunes. Obviously DRM free would be a nightmare but where there is somewhat proven DRM it may make sense to utilise it.

My only additions would be to exploit a social element to capitalise on how the markets tend to be working at the moment. Obvious pitfalls with user contributions around translations but it could be a consideration with the right control mechanisms.