Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Chihayafuru
View Single Post
Old 2012-02-27, 00:40   Link #1244
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
My impression from the last few pages is that you are predisposed to interpret what Taiichi says and does in a positive way, whilst a few of the other posters are predisposed to interpret them in a negative way, which is why I said the views are too simple. I'm sorry if I offended you.
My views of Taichi are yes largely positive as I see him as a character who is flawed and makes mistakes but is genuinely a good kid.

Quote:
I never said that Chihaya was his only reason for playing karuta. As I noted, his love for karuta is growing.
Perhaps you didn't but my initial arguments in this thread were not necessarily directed at you. My only point was that Taichi does care about Karuta itself...not just Chihaya.

I wasn't saying that Chihaya wasn't a factor at all for Taichi.

Quote:
However, your 'evidence' that Taiichi plays karuta (predominantly?) for himself / out of love for the game is, I feel, ignoring something important that a few other viewers have picked up. Which is, that Taiichi is actually struggling to maintain that 'ideal' goal of playing for himself.
No but I do think Taichi predominately plays Karuta now to prove to himself he can win at something he isn't automatically good at.

In a sense fighting for Chihaya is the same idea. But I think he wants to prove himself at Karuta first before he fights for her, if that makes sense.

I don't however think Taichi is only playing Karuta because of Chihaya & that was my main point.

As for your point to Kazu about Taichi measuring himself against others being a flaw, well actually I agree. In my previous posts I did say Taichi feels conflicting emotions for Arata: admiration, friendship but also jealousy. Now while I said jealousy might be a human emotion & doesn't make him a jerk; I never said it wasn't a flaw.

Of course I admit I am biased in favor of Taichi (and it's partially because of all the unfair bashing I see him get on this thread...please note I am definitely not referring to your post, I felt it was a largely fair analysis of his character even if I don't entirely agree).