View Single Post
Old 2012-12-02, 23:30   Link #2314
cshin9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aknazer View Post
This is really going to depend on where you come from for what you consider to be a "bit" of land. If it is 100km x 100km this still wouldn't be a "lot" of land for someone to be in charge of. While it might be bigger than a city (again depending on where you are from), it can also be smaller than a county. And with the exception of some of the smallest states in the US, it is FAR smaller than a state. As I'm American, 100x100km is roughly 62x62mi, and when I've driven cross-country it normally takes ~300-500mi to travel from one side of a state to another.

Another thing to consider is that we're talking about wine-growing (well, one doesn't "grow" wine, they grow the grapes and turn them into wine). So you're going to need a decent amount of land for that. 10x10km you can walk from one side to the other in 2-3 hours tops (and even faster if someone is travelling by horse) and I doubt it could accomodate the farms needed to raise 12k ECU a year.

So I think 100km x 100km could still be a reasonably "small" amount of land for one to basically be a lord over (even if it is a huge amount of land for us peasants to think about owning). Of course this could also be the American in me skewing my view since the US is such a large country and has tons of land that 100x100km doesn't seem "that" large to be a lord over.
Well, Belgium is 30,528 km2 and the Netherlands is 41,528 km2. Since Tristain is based on those two countries, 10,000 km2 would amount to about one-seventh of the entire country. That is not a small piece of land, especially since Saito isn't a highly ranked noble (unlike Louise's father).

By the way, do we actually know if Jessica and Scarron are descended from the pilot? We only know that they're related to Siesta, but how do we know if it's Siesta's mother side or father side that's descended from the pilot?
cshin9 is offline   Reply With Quote