View Single Post
Old 2011-08-15, 14:11   Link #48
revive4563

Quote:
Actually a more accurate translation of Yuina's lie would be "Ahh, youth..."
I don't think subtitles should be accurate always but actually "It's like I'm watching a teen drama" is overdoing for this part.

One another thing, if you are girl, when you call to girl who is not so close in the school in Japan, you have to add "-san" to her family name.
When you call to boy who is not so close, you have to add "-kun" to his family name.
I think this is a type of lady manner. You can use "-chan" to your friend. (or first name only, nick name, etc)

Only family name : Manly in a sense. There is a distance a bit.

Only first name : Friendly but possibly someone would feel it over-familiar, if they are not real friend.

-chan : Friendly. But basically, this is usable only to age same as you or a younger girl. Maybe s/he likes him/her at least. But if guy use this to guy, he might be gay.

-kun : This is usable only to age same as you or a younger man. e.g. Ohana never says "Tohru-kun".

-san :Honorific. Formal and safe for everyone. But in the class, you can use this only for girl.

In case of Yuina:"Ohana-chan" "Tsurugi-san" "Oshimizu-san"
In case of Minko:"Ohana" "Nako" "Yuina-san" (?)
In case of Nako:"Ohana-chan" "Minchi" "Yuina-san"
In case of Ohana:"Minchi" "Nakochi" "Yuina-san"

Therefore, if you're guy, you don't have to add something when you call to somebody.
So I laughed when girly Yuina said "Oshimizu!" to girly Nako in the subtitles.
I think "-san" "-chan" "-kun" are necessary in the subtitles.

Last edited by revive4563; 2011-08-17 at 06:43. Reason: incidentally...