View Single Post
Old 2012-08-26, 11:14   Link #246
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post

There definitely were sexist elements in this episode. The cooking not so much, since it makes sense in terms of her character. But cowering behind Kirito when Kuradeel shows up ... well, imagine how many people would be crying "emasculation!" if the scene were genderflipped. Even if people can explain her behavior in terms of plot, Kawahara still chose to write the plot in a way where that scene happens.
I'll admit that this was lame. It was lame for Asuna to be portrayed like that in this scene. But I just think of it as bad writing due to it being really OoC moreso than it being sexist, per se. It's bad because it's OoC for Asuna - I doubt many people would care if someone like Silica was cowering behind Kirito, for example.

In other words, the problem isn't that a female character is cowering behind Kirito. The problem is that Asuna is cowering behind him, and that just doesn't suit her character.

Anyway, I don't think it takes away that much from the general, all-around competency that Asuna displays on a regular basis. Asuna is clearly a superb fighter, and a very accomplished person (at least in SAO).