View Single Post
Old 2008-03-15, 16:06   Link #34
Rembr

Quote:
Originally Posted by vio5555 View Post
She did a substantial bit more than the typical "3rd girl" in these kinds of animes, so I don't know why you're making that kind of comment.

She kissed the main dude and went all the way to a confession with that, which roiled his feelings in a lot of ways, and that has helped him re-evaluate where everyone is and what each of them means to him. The hope is that he learned a lot in dealing with the Shin/Ai/Nobuse, and that he takes those lessons with him to dealing with Noe and Hiromi as he resolves the main triangle.

The main triangle always was Noe/Shin/Hiromi; Ai's drama was intended more to shed light on that far more complex relationship as well as to show where she started and where she's going, and that's the same role that Nobuse plays as well; the two of them serve as foils for the main players in the main square I guess of Shin/Hiromi/Jun/Noe.
I don't really watch any animes of 'this kind.' So are you saying 3rd girls usually do even less than Ai?

She was just going off by herself, kissing and confessing to Shin when he was previously completely oblivious. After the confession, he gave a straight rejection, and both moved on. And there has been nothing on both sides except straight, not complex actions.

I guess I'm saying their relationship was too little and too predictable to the point of wondering why they were even included. She was more of a sub-plot device that affected things between Shin and Miyokichi. Hell, even that was pretty much all Miyokochi, with Shin just going with the flow.

I mean, okay. Miyokichi also appears as one of the main characters, so I guess it all makes sense in that sense. But considering they didn't really interact nor affect anything between Shin, Noe, and Hiromi, why include them in the main lineup as though they play far larger, more complex roles than they actually have so far?