View Single Post
Old 2011-11-21, 19:27   Link #14827
leukrota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilidsor View Post
Don't saints come in there somewhere?

I thought it was at the beginning there were saints and gemstones, and magicians copied the saints way to get power and then centuries later science found a way to create espers to do what gemstones do. Or did I understand that wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
Do note however magic is first used to "let people without talent do things people with talent can do" (or something like that from the First Volume). Talent, not esper or gemstone specifically. Saints or ability-users probably didn't matter, just that there was inequality and magic was one way in a attempt to bring everything back to a even field.
Here's the precise quote (from the translation that is):
Quote:
"Magic isn't something that... espers, 'those with talent', can use... Because 'those without talent' wanted to be able to do the same things as 'those with talent', they gave birth to a ceremony and practice called... magic."
So I do think Index is referring to Gemstones...

Mind you, I said that Gemstones shouldn't be grouped together with artificial Espers because in a similar way to magic, the Academy City's 'curriculum' was also made to give 'those without talent' an ability... I bet Gemstones aren't compatible with that 'curriculum'.

But yeah, perhaps saying Gemstones are in the middle was stretching it a bit too much, since conceptually they should be a lot more similar to AC Espers, like Ashaman just pointed.

We still need a lot more info on them though. I think it's mentioned somewhere that Gemstones have AIM, but are they also bound to a single ability? or can they have multiple? that single matter can make a huge difference... But so far we have only seen a single Gemstone in action and his ability is literally incomprehensible XD.

About the Saints... I don't remember any explanation concerning where do they fit in the big picture... That could be an interesting topic for speculation (in the speculation thread, that is.)